Bag Of Songs has moved !

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit
http://bagofsongs.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

From The Mailbag : Your 33 Black Angels

It's always cool to receive a tip from a reader, so when I received what seemed like a sincere recommendation for the band Your 33 Black Angels I checked them out. Although that process diluted the perceived sincerity of tip when I discovered the exact same email went to every other blogger out there, some of whom even posted it.
David Fricke liked them well enough to give them a nod in a recent issue of Rolling Stone saying "The LP is worth the hunt for its pop-wise rattle (Pavement with a case of the Strokes) and singer Josh Westfal’s resemblance, in dry, frank voice and cautious optimism, to another local institution: Lou Reed on the Velvet Underground’s fourth album, Loaded." Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, they are a bit less polished than any of those bands, but they're not bad. Their sound reminds me of the myriad of late eighties bands that strove for a sound midway between the bouncy keyboard pop of new wave and the edgier sounds of punk rock. Worth a listen.

MP3 : Your 33 Black Angels - Sue
MP3 : Your 33 Black Angels - Town And Country

Buy Lonely Street

[MYSPACE]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when you first feel special when a band e-mails you some good stuff?

Haha, I got the same person e-mailing me about them but I didn't have any physical mp3s to offer.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Your 33 Black Angels are getting geared up for their second tour of the year, in support of "Tales of My Pop-Rock Love Life," the band's sophomore full-length effort. Dates can be seen at www.y33ba.com and www.myspace.com/your33blackangels.